After publishing news of Khagol mandal completing 30 years on Website and Posting Photographs on Facebook, many of our members communicated their Nostalgic Moments through Phone and WhatsApp. I am sharing few of them along with the names of the members
Ravindra Waghmare : Ex Secretary (1987-1991)
My Nostalgic association goes back to early 1986.. Just coming out from forming stage...
Some events - some personalities - actual field working and interactions with many....it taught us many realities of life...KM provided yet another vibrant platform to perform, excel n progress in our respective profession!
I can write big stories : but due to space constraints - just mentioning some events of pride for all Khagol Mandali :
1. Haley's & Kohutak Comet observations nights from Vangni with 1000+ khagolpremi...to the extetd that Vangni Railway Station Master had to say that all tickets available to Mumbai are sold....
2. Christiania Wilson fm US writing to us and appreciating our Astronomical popularising activities...a new comet was discovered by her, n comet was named after her. Her letter was published in our early "Khagol Varta" printed bi-monthly then!
3. The organisation of many Astronomical events n many parents interaction provided a number of opportunities to then young school going kids - who later acquired PhD in Astronomy or related subjects...and we have over one dozen of them with KM !
4. Similarly, the great flop show of Meteor Shower at Vangni - where over 2000+ Khagol premi had gathered - but thunderstorm n heavy rains ruined the show : but we all volunteers, in the headlights of parked cars - carried some sessions of discussions !
5. Total Solar Eclipse tour of 1995 October @ Hamirpur UP cannot be forgotten for few things - wonderful TSE observations n Diamond Ring / Baily's bids, Corona snaps - the earlier nightmare of Dacoites Attack - choked up toilets in the morning n villagers participation in the event was just simply memorable.
6. My Annular Solar Eclipse photographs from Kanyakumari in 2009 without tripod were well appreciated.
7. But, TSE 1999 from Bhuj was another flop show due to whether - but a learning curve for us !
8. Nostalgic memories goes back in 1986, when the Khagol Varta was first Cyclostyled, stapled n posted after affixing Stamps...it was a weekend full day programme forcfew of us !
Then remember the type set edition n later only e-version !
9. Likewise, first publications of Astronomical books written by our Pradeep Nayak n Mahesh Naik... Dr Jayant Narlikar, Dr Rawal, Dr Apte n many great Astronomy Subject experts supporting us n KM...
10. RCF donating a large telescope to late Mangala Tai supporting our activities...
KM not only helped popularise Astronomy n became iconic on its activities : but also helped many young minds to gain n grow in their profession !
All varied professions coming together n selflessly contributing in the success of the organisation, lies in the basics laid down so strongly then by Dilip Joshi, Raju Citnis, Late Sudhakar Lele and alike cannot be overlooked !
All my best wishes for Khagol Mandal to soon celebrate Golden Jubilee !
Santosh Mhaskar :
मी पनवेलचा. 1988 मध्ये मंडळाचा सदस्य झालो (स.क्र.442). तेव्हा साधना विद्यालयात दर बुधवारी खगोल मंडळींना भेटायला यायला खुप आनंद व उत्साह वाटायचा. मग हळुहळू मंडळाचं पनवेलमधलं काम आणि सदस्य संख्या वाढायला लागल्यावर स्वतंत्र पनवेल विभागाची स्थापना झाली.
मंडळाच्या पनवेल विभागानी पनवेल परिसरात खगोलशास्त्राच्या प्रचार व प्रसारासाठी अनेक कार्यक्रम केले. त्यात विशेष उल्लेखनिय कार्यक्रम पुढिल प्रमाणे.
1] पनवेलच्या V.K Highschool व K.V. कन्याविद्यालय या शाळात खगोलशास्त्र विषयी प्रदर्शन.
2] पनवेल च्या माध्यमिक शाळांसाठी खगोलप्रश्नमुंजुषेचे आयोजन. यामध्ये 8 शाळा सहभागी झाल्या (त्यात 2 इंग्लीश, 1 उर्दू, 1 गुजराथी शाळा सुद्धा होत्या)
3] युथ हॉस्टेल पनवेल च्या साथीनी श्री. दा. कृ. सोमणांचा खगोलशास्त्रावरील व्याख्यानाचा कार्यक्रम.
4] 24 ऑक्टोबर 1995 च्या सुर्यग्रहणा आधी वेगवेगळ्या ठिकाणी खग्रास सुर्यग्रहणावर 15 ठिकाणी कार्यक्रम.
5] पनवेल जवळील चिंचवली येथील वनवासी कल्याण आश्रमात पनवेलच्या खगोलप्रेमींसाठी ह्याकुताके धुमकेतूदर्शनाचा कार्यक्रम.
6] पनवेल जवळील चिंचवली येथील वनवासी कल्याण आश्रमात पनवेलच्या खगोलप्रेमींसाठी सिंह राशीमधुन होणार्या उल्कावर्षावाच्या दर्शनाचा कार्यक्रम.
7] 11 ऑगस्ट 1999 च्या सुर्यग्रहणा निमित्त अनेक ठिकाणी कार्यक्रम.
Khagol Mandal is a unique organization in the sense that it is run not by a single person, but by volunteers. There is no godfather of the organisation. Many times people ask me, whose organisation is this, Khagol Mandal? My answer to this question is that it is volunteers's organisation. In the last three decades every committee had different office bearers. Isn't that unique? Very few organisations in India might be like this.
In an organization which is basically Scientific, you will find people from all walks of life; from physicists, astronomers to chartered accountants. Everyone is bonded to the organisation by a common thread that is humanity. Even though from our organization's platform we discuss astronomy; at individual level, we discuss politics, history, biology, evolution, life and all sorts of things. It has enriched our lives so much that it is beyond the words to express my gratitude.
Being a part of this organisation is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
For me, Khagol Mandal has been an inseparable part of life since last 30 years. Apart from learning astronomy, I learned how to talk in front of a crowd, about explaining difficult concepts in simple language suitable for various media, how to think about various things, and the most important got many very close friends, who have such bonding with each other without the need of friendship bands!!
This institute has created many scientists, amateur astronomers till now. But it has also created very nice human beings. I think that is what is unique and most important thing about this group. Very very proud to be a part of such a group.
खगोल मंडळात कार्यकर्ता म्हणुन काम करता करता विविध तारकासमुह, ग्रह, नक्षत्रांसोबतच माणसांचे विविध पैलुही अभ्यासता आले. १९९५ चे खग्रास सुर्यग्रहण असो वा सिंह राशितील विशेष उल्कावर्षाव असो. व्यवस्थापनाचे विविध धडे अश्याप्रकारच्या वेगवेगळ्या खगोलीय घटनांच्या निमिंत्ताने गिरवता आहे. हौशी खगोल शास्राच्या अभ्यासासाठी या सारखे दुसरे मुक्त व्यासपिठ नाही. खगोल मंडळाची व्याप्ती मुंबई पुरती मर्यांदीत न राहता प्रथम महाराष्ट्रात व संपुर्ण देशभरात व्हावी हीच या वर्धापन दिनी सदिच्छा ! प्रत्येकाने आपापला क्षमते प्रमाणे कार्य सहभाग संस्थेकरिता दिला तर हे उद्दीष्ट सहज शक्य आहे.
Before it sprouted in Huge families !! I still remember lunching at Minakshi's place. Late night tea prepared by Ajit when we were sticking addresses and stamps on Varta and it never felt we were doing any efforts. More than anything I remember chiding & compliments we got from all the elders. Mainly chidings for me and compliments for others
Wednesdays at Sion and Saturday's at Vangni were always so exciting. Then the various akashdarshan programs we conducted.
Bestest was the journey back from Vangni...Nandu used to be the star..
I think the whole team motivated us to put in whole hearted honest sincere efforts in anything we did. Be it the varta work or the pain-sticking map work. We enjoyed every moment.
Minakshi Yardi Kulkarni:
I remember the tea-coffee preparation inside the bungalow. Music sessions with Pradeep n Ajit n Mukund. We used to eagerly wait for Pradeep n Ajit for some interesting food. Also remember hw the gang of girls cracked into tears at Kutch TSE(1999).
Personal benefits to definitely include- stage confidence. Remember the slide shows at vangani n sion.Above the all it was Dilip who was thick spinning wheel who kept all the diverse personalities woven together.
Man:puravak dhanyawad. My art (caligraphy) remained live or rather flourished while working for Khagol Warta. We do not believe in word Nashib but sometimes felt like it while looking back in journey. Or we can say in rational words meeting all khagol mandali was a very good coincidence.
In very first year of joining KM...in 1987...in one of the Vangani program..Raju Chitnis asked me to give information of telescope....that was..I feeled real honored.....further he gave me moral support..." Don't worry..I am there"..This gave me real boost...and ad minakshi told...KM stood like a big brother..behind every one....Thanks a lot KM...you shaped our life...!!