Welcome to Khagol Mandal, The largest organization of Amateur Astronomers in Mumbai, India. Established in 1985 by handful of astronomy enthusiasts, the organization has grown into a membership of 1000+ within past 20 years. Khagol Mandal is a registered organization under "The Societies Act" as well as with "The Charity Commissioner, Mumbai" and is entitled for receiving donations under the Tax Exemption provisions of the Income Tax Act (under section 80 G).
The activities of Khagol Mandal include :
- Sky observation programmes.
- Basic and Advanced Astronomy Courses.
- Slide Shows and Lectures on Astronomy.
- Study tours to sites of astronomical importance.
- Production of Video / Audio cassettes on Astronomy.
- Publishing monthly astronomy magazine in Marathi named the "Khagol Waarta"
- Telescope making workshops.
- Publishing Quarterly in English named "Vaishwik" (The Universal).
- Training for International Astronomy Olympiad
(For News in Marathi Daily regarding Astronomy Olympiad - Dated 20th Dec. 2006 - Click Here)
Popularization of Astronomy has been the prime motto of Khagol Mandal. This is being achieved through various public programmes, lectures, study tours and sky observation programmes. We also have a library of 500 + books on astronomy and numerous instrumentation for field observation.
In our constant endeavor to improve and be innovative, our members have designed models to simplify astronomy and have won accolades for these models as well as photographs at National level.
Some of our members have completed Ph.D. in various Astronomical topics and are well settled in India and abroad in prestigious assignments.
We make special efforts for mass participation at the rare celestial phenomena like Total Solar Eclipse, Astronomical Transits, Occultations, Meteor Showers, Comets etc.
Astrophotography : Our astrophotographs have appeared in leading dailing in India and also in International publications.
In Feb. 2000, we conducted a special "Care Lonar" conference to emphasize on conserving the unique meteorite impact crater in India.
On 14th May 2005, Khagol Mandal presented a prestigeous "Bhaska Puraskar" award to Prof. Mohan Apte for his outstanding contribution towards Popularization of Astronomy.
In December 2005, Khagol Mandal received an award from Marathi Vidyan Parishad, for its outstanding contribution towards popularization of Astronomy.
Being a Registered Organisation under the Charity Commissioner, the Khagol Mandal is run by a committee of Managing Trustees. The current committee of managing trustees was elected in the Annual General Body Meeting dated August 2009 and shall remain functional till 2014 (5 years) and is as follows :
1) President : Mr. Sagar Kerkar
2) Vice President : Mr. Sharad Bhide
3) Secretary : Mr. Satish Doiphode
4) Treasurer : Mr. D.T. Shinde
5) Committe Member : Mr. Nandkumar Walve
6) Committe Member : Ms. Nitin Chonkar
7) Committe Member : Mr. Sameer Kadam
8) Committe Member : Mr. Hrishikesh Joglekar
9) Committe Member : Mr. Abhishek Samant